Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Word Became Flesh

In my stack of books, I found a book I didn't realize was there. It is The Word Became Flesh by E. Stanley Jones. This is a modern reprint of a 1963 book. Jones was in his day was considered a great evangelist to the world having spent time in India, Japan and many other countries.

I first came across him when part of a Christian book club. The book I bought was The Divine Yes. In this volune Jones wrote that the answer to all the questions we might have in life. . . is
Jesus. He quoted 2 Cor. 1:20 "For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God." Thus Jesus is the answer we need to all the matters of life. That message and book made a BIG impression on me personally and as I have worked with those in need of answers for life situations.

E. Stanley Jones said that "the Word became flesh. . .," (John 1:14) was the most significant verse in the Bible. In the introduction he writes: "In all other religions it is Word became word--a philosophy, a moralism, a system, a technique, but for all time and all people everywhere, "the Word became flesh"--the Idea became Fact."

I look forward to sharing in the next few weeks some of the insights that come from the pen of such a man as E. Stanley Jones. "Affirmation for the day: If the word is the expression of the hidden thought, I shall be, in some real way, the expression of the hidden God."

steve

No comments: